Thursday, March 27, 2014

The End Of Lunch

A couple weeks ago, our dear farming mentors, N & S, graciously allowed us to purchase half of one of their pasture-raised, home-grown steers (after the not-too-surprising realization that Walmart beef prices aren't keeping up with it's reputation).  

This was a new adventure for me as I'd never experienced "up-stream" meat processing (OK, so I made up that term), and I was quite thrilled to witness how this all goes down (minus the blood).

We headed north into rural Texas and pulled up to Fischer's Meat Market (www.fischersmeatmarket.com) in a "German" town called Muenster.  Then got in line...


The Rig


'Lunch' seemed calm and unaware of his pending doom.  He was a beauty - half Brahma, half Angus - Brangus?  We had no doubt he'd be good eatin' - as they say around here.  He was born to be eaten - just the right amount of fat and a dedicated vegan ;)



Lunch  

We placed our bets as to how much his live weight would be. 


The Biggest Loser Weigh-In


After silently thanking our Creator for the gift of this magnificent animal, we said our tearful good-byes (I probably imagined that) and headed inside to chat with the head butcher.  

For the most part, I pretended like I knew what I was ordering (filet mignon, T-bone, ribeye, flank, skirt, striploin, chuck etc. etc.)  but somehow it all worked out.  

...17 days later, Lunch was packed, deeply frozen and settled comfortably in to my freezer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment